The Robert E. Kennedy Library at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is adopting the highly successful cluster-hire approach used by the Cal Poly colleges for our current recruitments. This is one element of a multifaceted strategy for intentional increase in expertise related to diversity and equity across the university, and part of a comprehensive effort to support inclusion. This approach has been chosen as an intervention because it will both enhance inclusive library service knowledge and practices among new hires and provide a supportive community for those invested in DEI-related work. It will be the library’s organizational responsibility to ensure that the cluster has opportunities to build community with other DEI-related cluster hires across the university and each other. Enhancing our existing processes for onboarding, mentoring, and balance of research and service will contribute substantially to the cluster’s experience and success.
Salary commensurate with education and experience of the individual selected. Anticipated hiring range: $78,000 - $85,000 per year.
As part of the library’s 2023 cluster hire, and under the direction of, and reporting to the Executive Director of Collection Strategies, Access and Systems thisnewly created position leads and develops the strategy, planning and design of the library's digital platforms and public-facing digital interfaces, including the library website. Through the lens of equitable information access, this position gathers feedback and engages stakeholders to ensure continuous improvement of the library’s digital platforms that support teaching, learning, and scholarship. This is a highly collaborative role, working closely with colleagues on the design and delivery of digital interfaces. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Systems Librarian, Digital Archivist and Data & GIS Specialist to develop digital scholarship workshops and tutorials and will partner with college librarian liaisons to develop outreach plans to raise awareness of the library’s digital tools and platforms used to deliver information services and resources. The librarian in this position will proactively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the digital delivery of the library’s programs and services and apply best practices (including universal design) to design for diverse learning styles and ensure compliance with accessibility standards and requirements. And this position will perform active user experience research with end users to develop methodologies which evaluate and assess the library’s digital platforms and interfaces and recommend evidence-based design improvements.
For more information:
Robert E. Kennedy Library DEI Action Plan
Robert E. Kennedy Library Vision and Values
DEI-Focused Cluster Hire Faculty in the Cal Poly SLO College of Liberal Arts
This position will be filled at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or comparable experience with a relevant advanced degree
- Three or more years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice, including a strong commitment to advancing the library’s role in supporting equitable learning and student success
- Familiarity with approaches and trends used in library reference and instructional services
- Knowledge of digital platforms used to deliver library programs, services, and information resources
- Knowledge of learning management systems (e.g. Canvas)
- Knowledge of online platforms used to preserve and disseminate research (e.g. BePress Digital Commons, Islandora), and online discovery and instructional platforms (e.g. Primo Discovery, LibGuides)
- Familiarity with current approaches and trends in user experience and universal design for learning.
- Familiarity with social media channels (e.g. Instagram)
- Knowledge of, or experience with, HTML and CSS used in online library platforms and tools
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a collegial, team-based environment
- Demonstrated outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities with a high level of initiative and flexibility
- A strong service ethic and ability to collaborate effectively with end users
- Capacity to engage in the research, scholarship, and creative activities required to achieve promotion and tenure
- Capacity to engage in service activities required to achieve promotion and tenure
- Experience working in an academic library
- Experience managing website content
- Experience designing digital platforms and tools to deliver programs and services in higher education or related industries
- Familiarity with information security, and privacy and accessibility in digital library platforms
- Knowledge of or experience with commonly used academic software solutions or databases used in data analysis and visualization (e.g. ESRI-GIS; SPSS; Minitab; Scalar, Tableau, StoryMap, etc.)
- Experience using digital platforms for library instruction
- Experience designing and conducting usability and other user experience studies
- Knowledge of principles of instructional design
- Knowledge of issues and trends in critical librarianship
- Experience with design software (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite)
DIVERSITY & INCLUSIVITY
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity isfundamentalto the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
This position is part of a university-wide cluster of searches designed to increase curricular coverage of areas related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as to promote inclusive and equitable teaching strategies across the university. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to the university's goals in these areas. Kennedy Library is concurrently hiring a Digital Initiatives and Engagement Librarian as part of this cluster-of-two.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU related work outside of California.It is also expected that faculty establish an on-campus presence to fulfill their responsibilities.
About Kennedy Library
Kennedy Library is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing campus-wide information resources and related services. Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. From June 2023 to summer 2025, Kennedy Library will further adapt its services while the library building is being fully renovated. During this period, library employees will be providing access to information resources, supporting research, delivering outreach and teaching information literacy from alternative campus and online spaces. Kennedy Library embraces the campus commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity through its programs, collections, and services, and through the library’s DEI Action Plan.
About California Polytechnic State University
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. For more information, see Prospective Employee Information.
About San Luis Obispo, California
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It is a quintessential, temperate coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks, and premium wine regions, it is also a popular vacation spot.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo, and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare, and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Montaña de Oro State Park, Cayucos, the Pismo Dunes, and world-famous Hearst Castle.
HOW TO APPLY
Kennedy Library recognizes that candidates may have acquired relevant experience in a variety of ways. We expect candidates to be stronger in some required qualifications than others. We are committed to helping future colleagues expand their skills as well as learning from their areas of strength.
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter, (2) resume/curriculum vitae (3) diversity statement. The diversity statement should address a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in teaching, scholarship and/or service describing past experience, contributions to diversity and inclusion efforts, the impact on students, faculty, staff and/or your field and a description of how you will demonstrate a commitment in these areas in teaching, research, and/or service at Cal Poly,and (4) a copy of unofficial transcripts of highest degree earned.
Please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. For full consideration apply by the REVIEW BEGIN DATE: June 26, 2023
Applicants with complete files by the Review Begin Date will be given full consideration. Applications received after this date may be considered.Sealed official transcripts showing highest degree earned will be required prior to appointment.
For questions, please contact Shelly Kurkeyerian by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you answer job details? ›
- Remember the responsibilities listed in your resume. ...
- Connect your responsibilities to the ones in the job posting. ...
- Use details when explaining your larger and important projects. ...
- Describe how you use your skills to benefit the company.
Discuss the qualities of your ideal job in broad strokes: fair pay, good people, company stability, etc. Touch on your qualifications and relevant skills to illustrate why you're a good fit for the job. Talk about learning of the job opportunity and why it spoke to you—why the position intrigues you.What do you say when a job asks for additional information? ›
Additional information may include civic activities, awards and recognitions, volunteering, or cultural skills like language or travel. It may also include other interests or activities that may show leadership, character, or qualities you feel are beneficial to your career.What is job description with example? ›
A job description is a tool that explains the tasks, duties, function and responsibilities of a position. It details who performs a specific type of work, how that work is to be completed, and the frequency and the purpose of the work as it relates to the organization's mission and goals.What is a good answer to why this job? ›
Talk about specific examples of how you can help this company achieve their goals and highlight any relevant transferrable skills that will make you stand out as the right candidate. Write down any recent achievements you can talk about or any challenges you've faced recently that might be related to this new job.Why do you need a job answer? ›
'I want this job because I have clear skills that will help me achieve...' 'This role will give me the opportunity to combine both my skills in [skill 1] and [skill 2] to achieve...' 'I love [job role specific task] and my last job took me away from that.How would you describe yourself? ›
I am a hard-working and driven individual who isn't afraid to face a challenge. I'm passionate about my work and I know how to get the job done. I would describe myself as an open and honest person who doesn't believe in misleading other people and tries to be fair in everything I do.
- Can you provide specific details about the role's day-to-day responsibilities?
- What would my first week at work look like?
- Are there upcoming projects not mentioned in the job description?
- How do the job's duties or goals change during the year?
- Stay calm. Interviewers may sometimes ask a difficult question to assess your response, rather than to test your knowledge. ...
- Ask clarifying questions. ...
- Share what you do know. ...
- Be honest. ...
- Express your desire to learn.
Thank you for reaching out about this opportunity—it sounds like a great job and aligns with where I'd like to take my career. I'm eager to learn more. As you may have seen on my resume, I have [X number of years] in this field. I've been consistently committed to [Specific goal, skill or trait the new job entails].
What is a job description in short notes? ›
A job description includes an overview, role summary, catalog of responsibilities, and the qualifications and experience required for a particular role. It also defines the soft skills and business skills required for success in the role.What is a one sentence job description example? ›
For instance, as senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Stanley's one-sentence job description is: To inspire our staff and congregations to be fully engaged in our mission and strategy. You can tell by this description that Stanley is a leader. There is nothing in here about being a doer.What is job specification in simple words? ›
A job specification is an official document which describes the duties, required knowledge, skills and abilities, and minimum qualifications of State jobs.What can you bring to the company? ›
- your enthusiasm for the profession and the employer and your desire to make your mark.
- your personal qualities, such as your drive and willingness to learn.
- the skills the employer seeks and how you have demonstrated them in the past – your answer should show why you would be competent in the job.
“I am suitable for this job because I have the skills, qualities, and knowledge to meet the requirements of the job description. I am suitable for this job because my knowledge and experience is relevant to this industry, and I understand how to meet the needs of your customers and clients.What do you consider your strength? ›
In general, your strengths should be skills that can be supported through experience. For example, if you list communication as a strength, you may want to recall a situation in which you used communication to reach a goal or resolve a problem.What are you looking for in a job? ›
- Opportunities for growth. This is one of the most critical factors that a person looks for in a job. ...
- Salary. ...
- Skills needed. ...
- Personality fit. ...
- Company values. ...
- Impact on society. ...
- Working environment. ...
- Work/life balance.
- Be the Solution. ...
- Be Specific. ...
- Prepare Sound Bites. ...
- Prepare to Talk About Your Resume. ...
- Be Aware of Nonverbal Communication. ...
- Be Positive.
- I am passionate about my work. ...
- I am ambitious and driven. ...
- I am highly organised. ...
- I am a people person. ...
- I am a natural leader. ...
- I am result oriented. ...
- I am an excellent communicator.
How do you ask for more job details in an email? ›
I've seen your advert for (job role), and I wanted to ask for some additional information before I apply. Can you provide me with details on… (ask what you want to know). I've researched your company and am fascinated by your work and excited about the opportunity.How do you say you want a job without sounding desperate? ›
- Ask For An Informational Meeting. ...
- Provide Insight. ...
- Demonstrate Commitment To The Mission. ...
- Share Passion And Find Ways To Contribute. ...
- Tell The Story Behind Your Interest. ...
- Be In Love With The Company. ...
- Ask First For Expert Advice. ...
- Interact With Their Content.
The purpose of the Job Description Questionnaire (JDQ) is to provide the information necessary to evaluate jobs for salary placement, classify jobs for various legal requirements, and to compile appropriate job descriptions.How do you end an interview answer? ›
- Option 1: Connect to the Position or Company. ...
- Option 2: Summarize and Get Back to the Question. ...
- Option 3: Ask Your Own Question.
- You got it!
- You bet.
- Sure thing!
- Ok. / Okie Dokie.
The first step to getting a recruiter's help on your job search is reaching out to them through email. If you can write a compelling email to get a recruiter's attention, you'll be able to continue with your job search with the help of their industry connections and insights about the job market.How do you politely respond to a recruiter? ›
Thanks for reaching out! This certainly sounds like an interesting job, and I appreciate your consideration. I really love the work I'm doing for [Your Company] and am not in the market for a new opportunity at the moment. That said, if I find myself looking to make a change in the future, I'll be sure to get in touch.Should you reply to every recruiter? ›
You should still respond to the recruiter's message—especially if you are interested in other opportunities at the company. The recruiter saw something in your profile that they liked, so communicating with them will keep you top of mind when more opportunities become available.What is job description and purpose? ›
Purpose of the Job Description: The job description documents essential job functions and the skills, knowledge, abilities and other characteristics needed for satisfactory performance of the job. It should be updated regularly to ensure that it reflects the employee's current assigned responsibilities.What is a job vs job description? ›
A job specification measures the capabilities that the job holder must possess to perform the job. A job description offers ample information about the job which helps the management in evaluating the job performance and defining the training needs of an employee.
How do you start a sentence in a job description? ›
It's OK to Start a Sentence with “And” or But”
It's ok to start job description sentences with And, But or However if makes the copy more conversational. “And, you get to enjoy are amazing 401K too!” Note: Check out our free Job Descriptions Guide — it tells you everything we know about JDs, job ads and the like!
- 1) Address your candidates directly in your job descriptions.
- 2) Choose a clear job title.
- 3) Write an honest “About us” blurb.
- 4) Make role responsibilities obvious.
- 5) Re-think standard requirement lists.
- 6) Highlight meaningful benefits.
Noun (1) He took a job as a waiter. She has a high-paying job on Wall Street. She's trying to get a job in New York.What should I write in additional information? ›
Additional information is any relevant skills, qualifications or characteristics that can round out your work experience with life experience and shows you are an inquisitive and curious person who pursues outside passions and can show unique energy at work.How to answer what additional information should we know about you? ›
- Summarize your strengths and accomplishments. ...
- Reiterate your interest in the position. ...
- Clarify your previous answers. ...
- Show examples of your work. ...
- End with a follow-up question.
Located on the number “8” key on your keyboard, the asterisk (*) is a 5-point star-shaped symbol used to call attention to additional information related to existing text. It is most often used to highlight the use of a footnote but also to indicate an omission or disclaimer.How to respond to an email asking for more information about a job? ›
Thank you for reaching out to me about this position. It is a fantastic opportunity to realise my professional goals with your esteemed organisation. I am eager and interested in learning more. As you can see from my resume, I have over seven years of experience in operational processes.What can I write in additional skills? ›
- Active listening skills. ...
- Communication skills. ...
- Computer skills. ...
- Customer service skills. ...
- Interpersonal skills. ...
- Leadership skills. ...
- Management skills. ...
- Problem-solving skills.
- Tailor your résumé to the job and research the company. This is crucial. ...
- Keep it brief. ...
- Highlight achievements and put your most recent experience first. ...
- Show the range of your experience. ...
- Demonstrate you've got people skills.
I hereby declare that all the information given above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. All the information shared in the resume is correct, and I take full responsibility for its correctness. I solemnly declare that the information in this resume is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
How to write additional information to support your application? ›
- professional certifications.
- published articles.
- references from colleagues.
- client testimonials.
- technical skills.
- volunteer work.
- language skills.
- personal achievements.
You need to highlight why you're the best match for the role by explaining the accomplishments, skills, or personality traits that set you apart. However, don't criticize other candidates while you do so. Maintain a positive tone and keep the response focused on what you can offer, rather than what others can't.Does additional information mean? ›
: more than is usual or expected : added. additional information.How do you add additional experience to a resume? ›
In the “Additional Experience” section of the resume, you should include volunteering, community work, board service, licenses, certifications, and consulting or freelance experience.How do you reply to more information in an email? ›
How To Say Thank You for the Information. If replying to an email where someone just gave you the information you needed, responding with “Thank you for the information,” “Thank you for sharing the information,” or “Thanks for the info” may be sufficient.How do you write an email to provide additional information? ›
I am writing to enquire about… I would be grateful if you could give me some information/further details about… I would appreciate some information about… I would be interested to receive further details about…